What is black mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that is present pretty much everywhere and typically harmless. However, the same mold that is helpful and essential to nature can be extremely harmful to human health if it begins growing inside a home or building.

Mold makes itself especially at home in moist conditions, where it begins to reproduce through small spores in the air. These spores until they collect in groups and reproduce on the lining of homes’ interiors.

Are all black mold toxic?

A particularly harmful species of mold, Stachybotrys chartarum, has earned a particularly devilish reputation as toxic black mold. Not all mold in home is black mold, but it can cause serious health problems, and so it should be understood and taken seriously. If you suspect black mold based on the look of spores growing in your home, be sure to have an expert verify its species before panicking too much.

Who does black mold affect?

Black mold is harmful to anyone, but some groups are at particular risk. The elderly, infants and children, people with compromised immune systems and chronic lung disease are at higher risk of health effects caused by exposure to mold. People with asthma are especially prone to mold reactions, including shortness of breath and asthma attacks.

Shocked Woman Looking At Mold On Wall

How do you know if mold is making you sick?

If you are experiencing allergies when you’re inside your house, there is a good chance your body is responding to mold. The most common symptoms of exposure to mold are sneezing, a runny nose and skin rashes. These symptoms mirror common allergy symptoms, so one isn’t always quick to realize it’s mold causing the problem. Likely, mold in their own home.

Common symptoms of black mold exposure:

  • Respiratory symptoms
  • Vision and eye problems
  • Skin problems
  • Immune system problems
  • Tiredness and discomfort
  • Circulatory symptoms
  • Mental and neurological symptoms
  • Reproductive system problems
  • Other illnesses

Can you get cancer from black mold?

Many experts believe that black mold can cause cancer, but the correlation is not proven. Other molds are proven to cause cancer which increases the argument for the association with black mold. For now, it is suspected, at best. Still, homeowners with black mold growing should proceed with the removal of the mold tactfully.

What should you do if you touch black mold?

Black mold is dangerous as long as person continues to breath in its spores. If you touch back mold, it is a good idea to see your physician about best steps for preventing black mold symptoms from manifesting. Then, take the necessary steps to thoroughly remove black mold from your home. Once you are no longer in the vicinity of black mold and therefore unable to breathe in its spores, the mold can no longer harm your body. Unfortunately, some symptoms experienced by initial inhalation might remain, such as a weakened immune system or increased sensitivity to mold.

Contact Mr. Mold

Do you suspect you are feeling ill from the presence of black mold in your home? Reach out to Mr. Mold for a thorough inspection of your home and a consultation on how to best remove the unwanted fungus from your home. Our team of experts if here for any and all of your questions and concerns – do not hesitate to reach out!

Need a water mitigation, mold assessment, or mold remediation?

Schedule your service today, so we can get your home back to good health.