Is Mold Affecting your Health?

can mold cause chest pain

Mold, commonly referred to as mildew, is a fungal growth that occurs naturally out of moist, humid conditions. Mold is inevitable and tough to eradicate completely. It can be found both indoors and outdoors, and its type can vary from harmless to toxic. Never a pleasant thing to find in your home, you may be wondering how to clean it up, how to prevent its reoccurrence, and whether or not it’s harmful to your health.

WHERE MOLD LIVES

Mold can grow anywhere, but it thrives most especially in areas that are dark, damp, and humid. Bathrooms and laundry rooms are the perfect environments for mold to grow, so you may have noticed it on your tiles or in your shower. Mold is also commonly found near doors, windows, and vents, which provide access to the outdoors.

WHAT MOLD LOOKS LIKE

The mold growing in your home will likely be a blueish gray or green color. It may appear as a cluster of spots or scattered specs. Try inspecting your bathroom and laundry room. Check out the tiles and walls near your appliances and see if you notice any growth. These are the areas most susceptible to mildew, so don’t freak out if you find any spots. It happens all the time.

can mold cause high blood pressure

MOLD VS SPORES

Mold reproduces by creating spores, which are invisible to the naked eye. Spores can travel by air to different parts of the home and can cause various health-related issues. They carry the toxic substances that ignite allergies and create respiratory complications and skin irritations. Therefore, it is important to remove as much mold as you can from your home. It’s less about the mold itself, and more about stopping its harmful reproduction.

CAN MOLD CAUSE CHEST PAIN OR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE?  

Mold has garnered a reputation as a highly toxic substance that poses an amalgam of health-related issues. Some of these are true, but others are completely unfounded. Mold does, in fact, pose some health risks, but this is mostly true for at-risk groups like the elderly, children, and those with compromised immune systems. What we know so far is that there is a growing correlation between mold and respiratory tract issues for at-risk groups. Further research will help determine the longevity of those effects, as well as risks for otherwise healthy people.

A lot of people are also wondering: can mold cause high blood pressure? Hard to say. Research suggests that there is a link between black mold and blood pressure irregularity, but this is hard to prove definitively, as there are many factors that affect blood pressure.

OTHER HEALTH RISKS

Mold has been known to cause other health-related issues like wheezing, skin irritation, migraines, runny nose, puffy eyes, and lack of focus. Mold has also been known to inflame symptoms of asthma in children.

PREVENT MOLD

The best plan of action is prevention. Mold thrives in moist areas, so keep your house dry. Make sure you are cleaning your bathroom, fixing leaks, and properly ventilating the damp rooms in your home. Don’t give mold time to reproduce into harmful spores. Be proactive about home repairs and you won’t have to worry so much about health risks.

Remember, it is never safe to sample or test your mold. If it looks questionable, call our team at Mr. Mold. We will help determine if the mold is toxic and how it should be removed from your home. Stay safe!