Do you experience inexplicable headaches, cold-like symptoms or bouts of fatigue in your own home? If so, there is a good chance that your house is breeding a mold that is making you sick.

Now, none of us like to think about the idea of our own homes making us ill, but it isn’t personal. Mold is natural and while some homes are more naturally predisposed to its growth based on geographic location, all homes are subject to mold at some point in time.

The good news is that mold can be prevented from growing, eradicated if found and hopefully, your home can be safeguarded to stop mold from returning.

Taking precautions as you build, renovate or move into a new home is an essential first step to keeping yourself and your family healthy and safe. If you are a new homeowner and unsure about whether or not your house has mold, consider an inspection before moving in. While there are tell-tales to watch for and symptoms that indicate you are getting sick from mold, it’s better to have an initial inspection and take care of necessary remediation before subjecting yourself and your family to dangerous mold. If and once mold is found, a professional team should remove the mold, clean the area and create a protective system to bar against its return.

What if mold is already making me sick?

Whether you moved into your home yesterday or ten years ago, if you did not take initial (and frequent) mold inspection precautions, you can assume you have mold in the house. If you are experiencing the following symptoms, it is likely that the mold growing in your home is responsible for said symptoms:

  • sneezing
  • runny or stuffy nose
  • cough
  • itchy eyes, nose or throat
  • watery eyes
  • dry skin

More severe symptoms include:

  • wheezing
  • shortness of breath
  • tightness of chest

How do you know if mold is making you sick?

The symptoms listed above are associated with exposure to mold as well as common illnesses, including the common cold. Pay attention to when your symptoms arise, such as within an hour or two of entering your home. Do they go away when you are on vacation or out of the house for a couple of hours? These are signs that your symptoms are acutely related to your home and most likely caused by mold growing inside.

If you have lived in your home for a long time, it is possible that your symptoms follow you everywhere, making if difficult to narrow in on their cause. In either case, it is essential to have a professional team inspect your home for mold and advise you on what next steps need to be taken.

The mold growing in your home could be black mold

While some molds are harmless, others pose considerable health risks to you and your family. One of these types is black mold. Black mold will cause the symptoms listed above and prolonged exposure can cause severe and permanent negative health effects. Black mold comes with a musty smell and tends to grow in dark, damp areas.

What should you do if you have black mold?

If you think you have black mold at home, do not touch it, get too close or try to remove it yourself. Black mold needs to be removed by a professional with the proper equipment and gear.

Do not attempt to remove the mold yourself!

When the mold is scrubbed or ineffectively removed, the mold spores detach from the affected area and are released into the air, causing cross-contamination in other areas of the home not to mention the mold spores are now airborne and your family is at risk of inhaling them.

What should you do if you touch black mold?

If you accidentally touch black mold, you can see your doctor but remember that black mold is most dangerous after long-time exposure. If you touch black mold and experience fever, trouble breathing or disorientation, seek emergency medical help.

Is all black mold toxic?

Not all black colored mold are toxic, but Stachybotrys chartarum, the infamously feared black mold, poses serious toxicity threats to its inhalers.

Can you get cancer from black mold?

Overexposure to black mold can create toxic environments in the body that allow for the growth of cancer cells. It is best to keep yourself safe from any mold exposure by working with a professional mold removal team.

If you are ready to have your house inspected and keep your family safe, reach out to Mr. Mold for a thorough home mold inspection and best practices for keeping your home mold-free.

The Visual Truth Behind Mold in Your Home

Mold is the “Silent Killer,” But MR. MOLD Will Help You Vanish Toxic Mold


Contact Us