Exposure to mold has so many consequences that not all are fully known or understood yet. So, it is no surprise that the connection between joint pain and mold has not been completely defined. However, it is known that once you’ve experienced mold exposure, joint pain seems to follow. Can mold cause joint pain? The answer is yes.

Mycotoxins wreak havoc

First, not all molds are harmful and cause negative health consequences. But, if you’ve heard anything about toxic mold, you know how harmful it can be. Any mold that grows inside the home should be removed, whether it is considered toxic or not. Mold in high concentrations is always a bad thing and should be addressed immediately. However, black mold, also labeled toxic mold, are those that produce toxins, specifically mycotoxins.

Since molds spread by releasing microscopic spores invisible to the human eye, toxic molds release a much more concerning form of spores called mycotoxins. These are more likely to cause significant health problems if exposed to large amounts. Also labeled toxigenic molds, they are less common and usually belong to two groups that include Stachybotrys chartarum and Aspergillus.

  • Stachybotrys

This is most commonly labeled black mold and has a greenish-black tint. This mold can usually be found in flood-damaged buildings and is quite potent. There are only a few strands considered toxic, so this kind of mold is considered rare.

  • Aspergillus

This family of molds is considered toxigenic but are less potent than Stachybotrys. However, Aspergillus infestations are more common and are also found in damp buildings.

It is the mycotoxins that cause symptoms like joint pain and inflammation. Because not all doctors are well informed about the effects of mold and mycotoxins, it is difficult to determine how common joint pain and inflammation is experienced by mold patients. For this reason, the symptoms are often misdiagnosed or not identified as linked to mold. Joint pain can highly resemble fibromyalgia or arthritis. Still, long term exposure to mold can cause joint pain issues.

Mold exposure joint pain treatment

Similar to experiencing joint pain from other sources, applying heat or ice will provide relief of inflamed joints. Additionally, taking over the counter medication like non-steroidal or anti-inflammatory tablets can help. If you’ve visited a doctor, he or she may prescribe pain relief medicine, but this will not eliminate the problem of repeated long-term mold exposure. While it is good to have an accurate diagnosis from a physician, it is important that the source of mold exposure is eradicated.

Getting rid of mold for good

As mentioned above, it is critical that the source of the mold is addressed and eliminated. Due to the complexities involved in mold eradication, it is always a good idea to call the professionals.

While there are DIY kits available for a less expensive solution, calling the professionals will ensure a thorough and complete job. Mold professionals will be able to find hard to reach mold sources that you may not be aware of like crawlspaces, insulation, and ceiling tiles.

Also, the repeated exposure to large amounts of mold will make your symptoms worse, prolonging or reversing the recovery process. Mold professionals offer free consultations identifying mold sources and eradication methods that will give you peace of mind and increased well-being once complete. At the end of the consult, should you decide to still go the DIY route, you’ll be armed with the information you need to address the problem.

What to do now

Now that you are aware of the many hazards of mold, take the first steps to improve your well-being and get a checkup with your physician. The sooner you address the issue, the better off you’ll be.

Inflammation and joint pain can cause long-lasting problems that can become exasperated over time. Inhaling spores regularly will likely cause other symptoms as well, that may be become more challenging to recover from. Make sure to get the professionals involved when removing mold from your home. If you are already experiencing symptoms, it is best that you do not continue to expose yourself to more harmful spores.

For more information on our superior engineering and advanced technological molds, visit our website or give us a call today!

Need a water mitigation, mold assessment, or mold remediation?

Schedule your service today, so we can get your home back to good health.

305.290.1569

CALL US