Does Mold Cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)?

 

Does Mold Cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)?

There is some speculation that there is a link between Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and mold growth.

There was a study done in New Zealand speculates that environmental poisoning may be the cause of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and infant mortality.

The theory deliberates that a common mold, scopulariopsis brevicaulis gets established in the baby’s mattress from moisture caused from spitting up, sweat, and moisture. This mold then begins to consume three chemicals found in the mattress. The chemicals are phosphorus used in the baby mattress cover, and arsenic and antimony added as preservatives and fire retardants. When the mold consumes these three chemicals, it results in the production of three nerve gasses: phosphine, arsine and stibine, all of which can be very deadly, especially to infants.

It is also considered that toxic effects from Stachybotrys may cause severe health problems in infants, including acute vomiting, asthma attacks, diarrhea, and even pulmonary hemorrhaging in severe cases. Exposure to mold has also been linked to croup, pneumonia and bronchitis in infants.

To make your babies sleeping environment healthy, you should consider the following actions:

Wrap the mattress in plastic to keep these dangerous gases from escaping. It’s best to do this when the mattress is first purchased so you know there isn’t any mold in it. If you have an old mattress that was given to you by friends or relatives to use, throw it away.

Also, use only materials such as 100% Egyptian cotton blankets for your baby to sleep on. Do not use sheepskin, polyester, anything that is quilted, padded, or filled, pillows or cushions. 100% cotton is the best thing to use.

Do you suspect that you may have mold in your home?