Is it possible that you have mold in your home? Have you been aware of a lingering, musty smell? Damp air? Leaking walls or ceilings? Have your residents or guests been complaining of allergy symptoms when in your house? If so, it is likely that have mold colonizing in your home.

What symptoms are caused by mold?
Mold is known to cause allergies in humans ranging from sneezing and coughing to chronic headaches and to serious neurological conditions such as dementia. Reactions to mold depend on the individual exposed to the spores and what type of spores are present.

Can mold cause rashes?
Rashes from mold exposure are one of the most common symptoms experienced. Skin irritation from mold happens when the immune system of the person exposed to the mold reacts to the spores in or on the bodies.

How can mold cause a skin rash?
As mold spores land on the person or enter through breathing cavities, the immune system detects a foreign invasion. While some mold can be seriously dangerous, skin rashes are often a symptom of immune system overreaction.

The immune system sets up to defend the body against the mold, triggering the person to sneeze, cough or develop rashes in an effort to get rid of the foreign bodies. The more antibodies the immune system produced, the more inflammation occurs in the body and the worse the symptoms become.

What does a rash caused by mold feel like?
Most rashes caused by mold are red, composed of small bumps and extremely itchy.

Can my rash become infected?
If you are not careful to avoid itching, the skin can break and become infected. If you see swelling, discharge or redness at the source; have a fever, pain or warmth at the surface, there is a high likelihood that your rash is infected. If this happens, see a doctor immediately and be sure to call a mold specialist to inspect your home.

If you have a rash that you suspect it is a reaction to mold exposure, it is the best idea to have an expert inspect your house. The type of mold present in your home could be harmless or it could be a toxic mold that can cause residents to develop severe, life-changing and even life-threatening symptoms.

What if the mold found is harmless?
In the case that the mold present is harmless, it is still an indication of mold-conducive conditions in the house. While the current mold is not entirely worrisome, an expert team will determine what conditions are allowing the mold to colonize and breed. By eliminating the current mold and the causal conditions, your home can be safe from future instances of toxic molds growing.

What is the best way to heal from a mold rash?
If the rash is caused by mold, the person affected should heal in a mold-free environment. If it possible, stay with friends or family for a few days while the rash heals. This is a great time to have your home inspected for and remediated of all traces of mold. You can aid your healing process by taking a cool bath with baking soda or applying an antihistamine cream.

Hire a professional mold inspection
The effects of mold, if not attended to range, from mild discomfort to life-threatening. If you have experienced symptoms of exposure to mold, including skin rashes or other irritation, call our team at Mr. Mold to have your home inspected. If we find mold in your house, we will devise a plan for remediation to ensure that you and your family stay safe and healthy in the comforts of your own home.

Need a water mitigation, mold assessment, or mold remediation?

Schedule your service today, so we can get your home back to good health.