Mold and sinus infections are too commonly overlooked at home. While sinus problems are common and can be caused by many factors, a mold is one of the most dangerous invaders of the sinus cavities.

Can mold cause sinus infections?

Yes, mold can cause sinus infections. Mold likes damp, moist conditions; this is why the fungi colonies multiply in waterlogged areas of a home, deep in the moist corners of the basement or in the slick-wet cracks between shower tiles.

Lucky for mold, your nose makes an easy pathway from the central air system to your sinuses that you can easily conceive as being warm, moist and pretty humid. As gross as it is to imagine our own sinuses as a breeding for mold spores, it also makes perfect sense.

Once you see that the internal body sets up pleasant host conditions for mold, it is clear to understand how so many people get sick when living in mold-infested homes, working in mold-infested offices or even visiting friends and family whose homes have mold inside.

Sinus problems affect daily comfort and ability to see and think clearly and comfortably. Acute sinus conditions caused by mold can be prolonged and have more severe repercussions, which is why it is so important to have your home inspected annually for mold and any time you suspect there is a mold growth in the house. Once your home is inspected, a remediation plan is devised if necessary and preventative conditions set up to protect you and your family.

Are sinus infections caused by mold dangerous?

Sinus infections caused by mold vary between non-invasive and invasive. Non-invasive forms of fungal sinusitis can be relatively harmless, but in some cases, a fungus ball grows that requires surgical remover. Patients typically recover strongly from non-invasive sinus infections caused by mold.

it is the invasive fungal sinus conditions that pose a serious threat to people. The most dangerous form is acute invasive fungal sinusitis which is rare but can be fatal. Immunocompromised patients are more susceptible to acute invasive fungal sinusitis. This means patients undergoing chemotherapy, with aplastic anemia, leukemia, etc. are at the greatest risk.

When caring for patients with compromised immune systems, it’s really important to ensure that their environment is mold-free. Mold causes a number of problems with a weakened immune system, and the risk of fungal sinusitis is especially life-threatening.

Immunocompromised patients need safe and clean environmental conditions to heal. If you are taking care of a loved one at home, have your home inspected. If your loved one is in a care-taking facility, jump through hoops to have the facility inspected or seek out other care options.

Other invasive forms of fungal sinusitis are more manageable, but the symptoms can expand and last up to months at a time.

How do I know if I have sinusitis caused by mold?

Sinus problems can be caused by a number of factors, some of which are distinctly fungal. Look out for the symptoms below and see a doctor upon confronting any of the listed conditions.

  • Mold in Sinuses Symptoms
  • coughing and wheezing
  • inflamed nasal passages
  • puffy eyes
  • body aches
  • itchy rashes
  • post-nasal drip
  • enlarging mass in cheeks, orbit, nose or sinuses

If you are battling sinuses and see signs of mold in your home, you might have a fungal sinusitis that needs serious medical attention. If you or your doctor suspects mold is causing your sinuses, reach out to Mr. Mold immediately to have your home inspected for dangerous molds and remediated back to health.

Need a water mitigation, mold assessment, or mold remediation?

Schedule your service today, so we can get your home back to good health.