Bringing a new life into the world is one of the happiest experiences. Woman are frequently instructed to pay close attention to their health and for good reason. Contact with toxins of any kind can cause irreparable harm to the baby.
A specific, deadly mix is mold exposure and pregnancy. When a woman comes into contact with black mold and inhales the released mycotoxins, it can cause problems in infancy and early childhood. Although there has not been a lot of research done in this area, mold has been linked to these issues.
Black mold and pregnancy symptoms
There are signs in a pregnant woman to be cognizant of. Although these symptoms may not be noticed right away, it is a good idea to keep them top of mind. The sooner you identify the root cause, the better chances the unborn baby has of not being affected by it.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Fetal development issues
- SIDS or sudden infant death syndrome
- Excessive menstrual bleeding
Other symptoms include:
- Chronic abdominal feelings
- Respiratory issues
In most cases, pregnant women develop health issues no more serious than mild to moderate hay fever-like symptoms. Still, in rare cases, the symptoms listed can become reality.
Pneumonia and other infections can wreak havoc on an otherwise healthy pregnancy and lead to complications during childbirth. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, exposure to certain molds in infancy can result in bleeding lungs. If you were wondering can mold cause birth defects, the answer is yes.
Avoiding mold exposure and pregnancy
Everywhere you go, you’ll find mold. However, it is possible to avoid prolonged exposure to the toxins that mold emits. If you think mold is growing in your home, you’ll want to get that removed as soon as possible.
And to avoid further exposure, do not attempt to remove the mold yourself if you’re pregnant. Doing so will increase the likelihood of you becoming ill or worse, causing harm to the baby. Always arrange for a mold removal company to inspect the area properly.
How to know if you’ve been exposed to mold
There are distinct symptoms that may appear if you’ve experienced mold exposure. These cannot be overlooked since they can be clear indicators of the beginning of declining health. Here are some symptoms to be on the lookout for:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Sinus pain or pressure
- Rash or hives
- Chest or nasal congestion
Mold exposure can lead to chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS), which is what causes these symptoms. And can you believe 40,000,000 million people are affected by this just in the US? Most CIRS patients aren’t even diagnosed properly, which is why we hope our conference in June will help raise awareness for this issue, while at the same time allowing doctors to become educated and Proficiency Partners of Shoemaker’s Protocol—so they can properly screen, diagnose, and treat CIRS patients.
Removing the mold for good
As noted above, it’s never a good idea to attempt mold removal alone. But you’ll want to start with seeing your health care professional first, preferably one that’s certified to treat patients who’ve been affected by mold illness. They will be able to determine indefinitely if your symptoms are a result of mold exposure and develop a plan to get your health back in balance. Visit the Surviving Mold website to find one near you.
Once you’ve taken this step, it’s a good idea to hire a professional mold removal company to detect and eradicate mold in your home. It’s important not to reintroduce the toxins to your body.
A professional mold removal company can provide free consultation and expert advice. During an expert consultation, the professional will visit your home, inspect the mold in the home, and provide an explanation of the work that needs to be done. This no-cost and no-obligation consultation will give you the opportunity to ask questions and get the information you need to move forward.
Make sure to be aware of any water intrusion occurring in your home and repair the source in less than 24-48 hours to having humid, moist, dark environments, where mold thrives. Staying connected to a health care professional and being aware of symptoms of exposure is one of the best prevention methods for keeping you and your baby healthy. This is an exciting time in your life and you don’t want pesky mold problems to get in the way of your and your baby’s future happiness.
For more information on our exceptional design and manufacturing processes of injection mold, or if you think you may have mold in your home, check out our website or give us a call. We are here to answer any questions you may have.