Mold, commonly referred to as mildew, is a fungal growth that occurs naturally out of moist, humid conditions. Mold is inevitable and tough to eradicate completely. It can be found both indoors and outdoors, and its type can vary from harmless to toxic. Never a pleasant thing to find in your home, you may be wondering how to clean it up, how to prevent its reoccurrence, and whether or not it’s harmful to your health. WHERE MOLD LIVES Mold can grow anywhere, but it thrives most especially in areas that are dark, damp, and humid. Bathrooms and laundry rooms are the perfect environments for mold to grow, so you may have noticed it on your tiles or in your shower. Mold is also commonly found near doors, windows, and vents, which provide access to the outdoors. WHAT MOLD LOOKS LIKE The mold growing in your home will likely be a blueish gray [...]
Flooding can cause much more damage to a home than what meets the eye. As water enters into your home it can become trapped inside wall cavities, behind baseboards even go under floorboards or tiles causing further latent damages. According to health experts mold can begin to grow within 48 hours of moisture exposure, this means as you may believe that by drying the surface of your home that you are eradicating all the issues, in reality more often than not that is far from the case. Mold growth in your home after flooding may be what is causing you and your family sudden allergy symptoms or further respiratory issues. Make sure you are taking the necessary precautions after experiencing water damages in your home to ensure that you are keeping you and your loved ones safe and healthy as well as to limit and repair any damages that may be [...]
This house is a perfect example of a beautiful home with a dark secret. You may find something small in your kitchen or in your living room that may be a sign of mold and instinctively you may ride it off as a small issue that warrants no further investigation but what you might not understand is the issue that’s growing where you can’t see. This house is a perfect example of a house that had very little signs of mold contamination but once the walls and roof were opened mold contamination was found littered throughout the entire home. We call this the "tip of the iceberg". Take the necessary precautions to ensure that small spores or spots you find on your wall or in your kitchen sink cabinet aren't the "tip" of the "iceberg" hidden in your walls.
Mold’s reputation as a toxic substance continues to challenge the traditional diagnosis of common illnesses like anxiety and depression. Often found in the home, mold is a naturally occurring fungus that thrives in damp, humid environments. It has been known to irritate allergies and inflame asthmatic symptoms in children. As such, there is a growing need for medical professionals to reexamine the capability of the mold to create illness in otherwise healthy people. Mold reproduces by creating spores. Spores can travel by air and enter the human body through the skin. They are invisible to the naked eye, and they have the ability to survive harsh conditions, including dry environments. Mold removal is vital for dismantling the reproduction process of harmful spores that cause rashes and irritate allergies. What are the groups that are at risk? Some people have a predisposition to mold sensitivity, which puts them at risk for contracting mold-related [...]
Mold is a fungus characterized by spores that multiply in colonies. You might have seen mold around your house - greenish, blackish, grayish dots huddled together and multiplying near HVAC units, damp corners, on ceilings or in the bathroom. If mold is not identified early on, it continues to grow. Central air systems and natural air flow sweep spores of surfaces, allowing the filaments to travel throughout a house or building and into the air a resident is breathing. While functioning immune systems can deal with a bit of mold, some immune systems are sensitive to the spores and react accordingly, by sneezing or coughing to get rid of the spores, for example. More dangerous are the frequencies of spores not causing an immediate bodily reaction and instead, nestling and growing inside of the people living at home. Prolonged exposure to mold can go unnoticed for months and even years. The [...]
Mold and sinus infections are too commonly overlooked at home. While sinus problems are common and can be caused by many factors, a mold is one of the most dangerous invaders of the sinus cavities. Can mold cause sinus infections? Yes, mold can cause sinus infections. Mold likes damp, moist conditions; this is why the fungi colonies multiply in waterlogged areas of a home, deep in the moist corners of the basement or in the slick-wet cracks between shower tiles. Lucky for mold, your nose makes an easy pathway from the central air system to your sinuses that you can easily conceive as being warm, moist and pretty humid. As gross as it is to imagine our own sinuses as a breeding for mold spores, it also makes perfect sense. Once you see that the internal body sets up pleasant host conditions for mold, it is clear to understand how so [...]